May is not only the month that brings spring flowers; it also celebrates families with National Family Month, Universal Family Week (May 12-18, 2013) and Mother’s Day (Sunday, May 12)!
KidsPeace, a private charity founded in 1882, created National Family Month. This month-long celebration helps raise awareness and highlights the importance of family – kids, mothers, fathers, relatives and caregivers – and encourages supporting one another. National Family Month also provides an opportunity for families to share special time together, to develop or renew relationships, and to remind everyone about the importance of family involvement in raising healthy, confident kids.
Underscoring the importance of family, the International Society of Friendship and Good Will proclaimed the second full week in May as Universal Family Week (May 12-18, 2013). And of course we celebrate and honor mothers, motherhood, maternal bonds and the influence of mothers on families and society on Mother’s Day, which falls on Sunday, May 12, this year.
Joining in the month long celebration of families and mothers, The Jim Henson Company’s adorable PAJANIMAL characters have a number of fun family activities created to encourage and support family togetherness.
In celebration of Mother’s Day on May 12, Sprout will air two family-centric Pajanimals episodes on Saturday, May 11, and Sunday, May 12. “Missing Mom and Dad:” At bedtime, Sweet Pea Sue misses Mom and Dad and wishes she could sneak into their bed where it feels so “warm and safe.” The Pajanimals travel to The Night Sky where The Moon comforts her and tells Sweet Pea Sue that her parents are very close by and will always be there (if she needs them). And the episode, “Mom is Amazing!:” Tomorrow is Mother’s Day and the Pajanimals have decided to help Mom with her chores, but they quickly realize that Mom does A LOT of chores for the family. Not sure what to do, the Pajanimals travel to the Night Sky, where The Moon tells them that just recognizing all that Mom does and offering to help her is a great gift not just for Mother’s Day, but any day.
Pajanimals are also offering a free Mother’s Day Coloring Card, which can be downloaded and printed, allowing kids to add their own personal artistic vision to the card (and a photo, too)!
During the month of May, Sprout will also air a special on-air spot for its Kindness Counts campaign featuring the Pajanimals.
Sprout’s Kindness Counts campaign helps parents teach young children the importance of kindness and encourages children to perform random acts of kindness such as helping, sharing, making a new friend, etc. The Kindness Counts website features a Kindness Counter where families can document these kind acts with the goal of reaching 1 million acts of kindness.
Additionally, www.sproutonline.com offers fun Pajanimals’ themed activities for the entire family, including:
- Printable Pajanimals Bedtime Activity Cards which parents and kids can use to learn about and reinforce healthy bedtime routines!
- Fun family games like Sweet Pea Sue’s Heart Catcher — this fun, online game keeps kids and parents on their toes as they try to catch all of the falling hearts by moving the basket left or right; and Pajanimals Adventure Game, which takes the whole family on an adventure with The Pajanimals, including a visit to Jerry the Bear’s house in the Friendly Forest!
- Craft projects like Big Blue Sea Felt Aquarium, which instructs families on how they can create an indoor aquarium out of felt; and Apollo’s Night Time Memory Game, which helps families to create their own special memory game to play again and again.
- Easy recipes the whole family can make and enjoy, including CowBella’s
- S-moo-thie, Apollo’s Moon and Stars snacks and Sweetpea Sue’s Horseshoe Bread, a sweet snack that’ll be fun to make for mom on Mother’s Day.
So grab your little ones and go check it out!